If you happen to use your projector a lot, or if you change your monitor settings, for whatever reason, you may have noticed that the desktop icons change position every time you make some changes in the monitor settings. You get tired re-arranging all the desk top icons back to the place they were. It becomes especially irritating when you have a lot of desktop icons. A lot of time is lost in bringing back the icons to a place convenient for access.
Now, there is a solution to this annoying problem. This tweak is best use to those that regularly switch between various monitor settings and are simply fed up re-arranging the icons constantly. With the help of a registry change, you can now access the Save and restore options. You access these options by right-clicking on your My Computer or Computer option from the Start menu (To access the Start menu, you need to click on the Start button. The Start button is located in the lower left corner of the screen.) For the changes to take effect, you need to wait approximately 10 minutes. Here the Windows help instructions will guide you:
Windows help instructions
- First and foremost, you need to download the Layout.zip file to your system’s desktop.
- Then, you need to right click on the Layout.zip file and then select Extract. You will observe that a folder containing two files will be created (after the extract process is completed) on your desktop.
- Thereafter, you need to open the folder. You will find a dll file named Layout.dll. You have to copy this library file and paste it in the Drive: Windows\System32\ folder.
- Then, you need to double click on the Layout.reg file, so that this file is added to your registry.
- You need to right click on the Windows icon located in the lower left corner of your desktop screen to open the Start menu.
- Next, you need to right-click on the Computer icon or option. You will see a menu containing Save Desktop Icon Layout and Restore Desktop Icon Layout, among other options.
- You can then click on Save Desktop Icon Layout in order to rearrange desktop icons. Then to have the icons moved back to their usual or original position, you can click on the Restore Desktop Icon Layout.
Amazing, isn’t it? You can try this tweak yourself. Now, you don’t have to go through the annoying task of re-arranging the desktop- icons, every time you make changes to your monitor settings.