Finally, Windows 8 is released; the complete version is in market now. Now it is time to make all those offers applicable. Microsoft has offered Windows 8 upgrade for all those Windows 7 systems that was purchased in between 2012 June and 2013 February can be upgraded to Windows 8.
Requirements for Windows 8 upgrade
The first requirement to be met is that you have a new PC with Windows 7, which was bought between 2 June 2012 and 31 January 2013. This enables you to get Windows 8 Pro for a $14.99. To claim this, you need register and download before 31 January to claim this special price. In addition, those who bought a Windows PC before June 2 can upgrade for $39.99. The user must have Windows XP with Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.
The following versions of Windows 7 are eligible:
- Windows 7 Home Basic
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- Windows 7 Professional
- Windows 7 Ultimate
- Netbook users who have Windows 7 Starter edition will not get Windows 8 Pro.
- The PC must have valid Windows 7 OEM Certificate of Authenticity and product key for being eligible.
Before clicking the download link for upgrading the operating system, ensure that the PC experience does not slow down.
- Processor speed: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor
- RAM: 1GB on a 32-bit system or minimum 2 GB RAM on 64-bit system.
- Intel Atom processors for netbooks to run the 64-bit version of Windows are overwhelming.
- Hard disk space: 16 GB Hard disk space for a 32-bit system and minimum 20 GB for 64-bit space.
- Graphics card: DirectX 9 graphics device compatible with WDDM drive
How to go about the upgrade:
Once you have all the requirements fulfilled, you can proceed with the upgradation step. You will have to register for the Microsoft’s upgrade offer. After getting the confirmation email and a Promotional Code, you can proceed. This promotional code is important when you make the final purchase. The Upgrade assistant of Microsoft will guide the users through the procedures. The feature will check app and device compatibility. With the help of the Upgrade assistant and with the aid of the promotional code, the user can upgrade the operating system.