Windows Live ID is a method of verifying the authenticity of the users who wants to access a variety of products and services offered by Microsoft. It is a single sign-on service and it is peculiar service as changing the login name and password will affect all the products and services that use the authentification pair. As such, the login name and password are inseparable and although changing the password will not affect the log in process, changing the Windows Live ID might result in some complications. If you wish to change the Windows Live ID, you are then required to notify every product that uses it. Also, if you are going to change the ID, you are also required to create a new account. Follow these instructions from Windows Live help to know more about this process.
Instructions to change the Windows Live password
- Launch the live.com account page, which is the authentication webpage for the Windows Live service.
- Login with your Windows Live ID and password. You will be forwarded to the Account Overview web page that shows the entire particulars about your account. Click on the “Change” option located just beside the Password label. The web page will now change to the “Change your Password” page.
- Change your password and enter the current and new password wherever required.
- Put a checkmark in the checkbox next to “Make my password change every 72 days” if you want to force a password change periodically.
- Click on the “Save” button to save the changes.
Instructions to change the Windows Live ID
- Launch your live.com account page, which is the authentication web page for the Windows Live service.
- Click on the “Sign up” option next to “Don’t have a Windows Live ID?”. New Windows Live account is needed to be created to change your Windows Live ID.
- Create a new Windows Live account; enter a new ID, password and the required identifying information.
- Enter the Captcha code displayed at the bottom of the screen and click on the “I Accept” to agree to the terms and conditions.
The instructions from the Windows Live help are simple and will help you to reset your Windows Live ID and password.