Windows 7 is the most popular operating system in use now even after the release of the Windows 8.1 version. Services are programs that start automatically when the system boots up. Services are used for providing dedicated services to the system. However, not all programs that are referred to as services are needed for the smooth performance of a computer. Follow the simple instructions given below form Windows help center for disabling an unwanted service running in your Windows 7 computer.
- Click on the Start button located at the left side of the of the taskbar to open the Start menu and then click on the Control Panel option found in the right side pane.
- When the Control Panel windows opens, browse through the window and then click on the System and Security tab.
- From the window that appears, look for the option named Administrative Tools and then click on the Services option found under it.
- Now the system will show you all the services that are currently running in your system. Browse through the given list and then select the service that you would like to disable.
- For finding the services easily, click on the Name column in the top of the list window for sorting the services alphabetically.
- Now double click on the service to open the Properties window of the service.
- In the Properties window, look for the Startup type option and set it as Disabled. If you choose this option, the system will not start the selected service when your computer starts. It will be better for you to take a note of the current status of the service, as sometimes you may need to reinstate the service to its older status.
- Click on the OK button found at the bottom of the window to save the changes you have made and for exiting form the settings window.
- Now restart your computer and check whether everything is working fine or not. If everything is fine, repeat the Windows help instructions above to disable another service. However, if something goes wrong, open the Services tab and then reinstate the previous settings of the service just now terminated.
If you follow the simple instructions given above, you will be able to disable an unwanted service running in your Windows 7 PC.