GIF is the short form of Graphical Interchange Format. A large number of images you receive through World Wide Web are in GIF format. They are perfect for graphs, charts and display of line art. In order to open images that you receive in GIF format, you need to have a graphic design program. Else, they would open as JPEG (Joint Photographic Expert Group) files without displaying their graphical properties.
Nonetheless, Windows OS has certain preinstalled programs that can open GIF images with all their specific features. These programs include Internet Explorer, Windows Live Photo Gallery and Microsoft PowerPoint. You can set any of them as the default program to open GIF files. This article helps you in setting up some of the above programs as default to open GIF images. Work out the below instructions or consider contacting Windows help desk for further help.
Setting MS Paint as the default program to open GIF images
- Open the folder that has the GIF files. Select one of the files and right-click it. Choose Properties from the resulting menu.
- In the Properties dialogue box, choose the tab labelled General and select the Change button.
- Locate Paint from the available options and click it to select. If you don’t see Paint in the list of available programs, choose the Browse button and go the following folder C:\Windows\System32. You should see the MS Paint icon in there. After locating the icon, double-click it to select.
- Next, tick the check box before the link Always use the selected program to open this kind of file. Save the changes you have made in the settings by clicking the OK button.
Hereafter, when you double-click the GIF images, they will open in MS Paint program.
Open GIF images in Internet Explorer
- Locate a GIF file and right-click it.
- Choose Properties from the dropdown menu.
- In the Properties window, select the tab labelled General followed by the button titled Change.
- Choose Internet Explorer from the list of recommended programs.
- Set IE as the default program to open GIF files in future. For this, click the checkbox before the option that says Always use the selected program to open this kind of file.
- Save the changes by clicking the OK button.
With the help of the above instructions, you must have successfully set the default program to open GIF files in your Windows PC. If you are in need of any further assistance in this regard, feel free to contact our Windows help desk.