Annoyed of the Windows help window that pops up every time you press the F1 key accidentally? Then read on!
The F1 is key is used to launch the Windows help program when you are browsing Windows Explorer. This window might take quite some time to appear if you are busy doing other things on your computer. This can be quite annoying especially if you press the F1 key accidentally. To prevent this from happening, you can disable this window from appearing when you press F1.
How to disable the Windows Help pop up?
Disabling this annoying pop up window is not all that difficult and can be done in a matter of just few simple steps. Given below are the steps to be followed to disable this pop up window.
- Simultaneously press the Windows logo as well as the ‘R’ key to display the Run dialog box. In the box, type regedit and then press Enter. This will load the Windows registry editor.
- From the left side of the folder tree, click ‘+’ to browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, SOFTWARE, Microsoft, Windows, CurrentVersion and App paths.
- Under the App Paths, right click the HELPCTR.EXE and then click Export. Now browse to the desktop and name the file as Help Center Backup and then click Save. To reverse the change made to your computer at any time, double click the Help Center Backup file created on the desktop. The HELPCTR.EXE folder should still be highlighted when you return to the registry editor window.
- On the right side of the window, double click the Default entry. In the window that appears, the data displayed under Value Data should now be C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe.
- Under Value Data, the file name should be changed from HelpCtr.exe to anything else like FakeFile.exe. The name that you give is not significant, but what matters is that it should not be the name of an already existing file. Choose OK and then close the registry editor. Now, this pop up window will not pop up even if you accidentally press the F1 key in Windows Explorer.
These are the steps to be followed if you wish to disable this annoying pop up window. I hope that was all the information you were looking for. Have a great day!