AutoRun feature of the Windows operating system comes handy to the users at times, but most of the times it can prove to be a nuisance. If you wish to turn off the AutoRun feature in the Windows operating system, read ahead. The Windows help tips that are shared below will help you to know more on the steps to disable the AutoRun feature in Windows XP, Windows Vista, and other Windows operating systems.
Windows Vista And Windows Server 2008
- Turn on your computer and click on the Start button. Type Gpedit.msc in the Start Search box and hit the Enter key on your keyboard. If you are asked to type in the administrator password or for confirmation, enter the password or click on the Allow button.
- Under the heading Computer Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, then expand Windows Components and click on Autoplay Policies.
- Double-click on Turn off Autoplay in the Details pane.
- Click on Enabled and select All drives in the Turn off Autoplay box to disable the AutoRun feature on all the drives. Click on the OK button.
- After doing the above steps, you can Restart the computer.
- Turn on your PC. Click on Start that is located on the left hand corner of the screen, select Run, type in Gpedit.msc in the run box and then click on the OK button.
- Under Computer Configuration, expand the heading Administrative Templates and then click on Properties.
- Click on Enabled and select All drives in the Turn off Autoplay box to disable the AutoRun on all drives.
- Click on the OK button to close the Turn off Autoplay Properties box.
- Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.
By following the above steps, you will be able to disable the AutoRun feature in the most popular Windows operating systems. If you would like to know further about these steps, you can contact the Windows help and support team. They will be able to provide you with more information on the steps. You can also refer to the Microsoft self help modules that are presented in the official website of Microsoft. These modules will also help you to get more idea on the steps that are to be followed to disable the AutoRun feature for all drives in the Windows operating system.