Windows XP is an all time favorite operating system of numerous customers. Since its release in 2001, it was the most widely used operating system. This operating system has many user-friendly features and runs smoothly even with minimum hardware configuration.
However, few of you may not find this operating system interesting or your computer’s hardware requirements might not be able to accommodate it. In such cases, you can uninstall this operating system from your computer. In this Windows help section, we will take you through the steps to uninstall this operating system.
- Reboot your computer and during the reboot process, keep tapping the F8 key. This will give you the Windows Advanced Options Menu. Select Safe Mode in this window. You will be now taken to the Safe Mode where you can begin the removal of Windows XP. If you have an administrative password, enter it and login to Safe Mode. This mode of operating system is featured by a black background and Safe Mode is written on the four corners of your screen
- Select the Start menu and go to Control Panel. In the Control Panel window, double click to open the Add or Remove Programs option. The window for Add or Remove Programs shows you the list of programs installed in your computer.
- From the list of programs, select Uninstall Windows XP. You will be asked to confirm your selection with the message Are you sure you want to uninstall Windows XP and restore your previous operating system? Select Yes and this will initiate the removal process.
- Click Next and wait for a few minutes for the removal process to complete. Once the process finishes, the computer restarts automatically. You will find that the old operating system present prior to the installation of Windows XP is loading now. You can also find that your files are unaffected by this process.
- However, the applications, which you installed in your Windows XP computer, will be removed with this process. Therefore, you might have to reinstall these programs in your old operating system.
We hope that this Windows help section has helped you uninstall Windows XP from your computer. If you have the Windows XP installation disc, you can reinstall the operating system at any point of time. For additional assistance on Windows XP removal process, you may contact Microsoft chat or our technical support team.